The Voice Foundation
The NSDA Research Award
The NSDA Award shall be awarded by the National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association (NSDA) and The Voice Foundation. The Award Committee shall be appointed by the Chairman of the Board of The Voice Foundation.
The mission of the NSDA is to advance medical research into the causes of and treatments for spasmodic dysphonia, promote physician and public awareness of the disorder, and provide support to those affected by spasmodic dysphonia.
Spasmodic dysphonia (SD), a focal form of dystonia, is a neurological voice disorder that involves “spasms” of the vocal cords causing interruptions of speech and affecting the voice quality. SD can cause the voice to break up or to have a tight, strained, or strangled quality.
- Award consideration is open to investigators who are accepted to present research in the yearly Symposium: Care of the Professional Voice.
- This award is for outstanding contribution to new research related to spasmodic dysphonia and related voice conditions including muscle tension dysphonia and vocal tremor.
This award is open to investigators who are accepted to present in the yearly Symposium: Care of the Professional Voice
To Enter: Please send the following in one pdf to E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of intent – a short paragraph about your training and mentioning your research
- A copy of your accepted abstract
- The application deadline is March 30, 2019.
- Results will be given by April 15, 2019
Criteria and Selection
The winner will be selected by a committee and will be notified by The Voice Foundation on or before April 15th.
Selection will be based on a number of criteria including, but not limited to the quality of the study or studies, the impact of investigation on the field of voice, and the complexity of the work. The award will be given to an investigator who is the PRESENTING Author (and preference will be given if it is also the First Author). The committee members will use their own criteria to determine “excellence”.
The winner will receive:
- An Award Certificate
- $1,000 to support travel costs to The Voice Foundation Symposium: Care of the Professional Voice
- Waived registration for the Annual Symposium: Care of the Professional Voice in Philadelphia
- Recognition in Voice Foundation and the National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association’s materials
The fellowship will be awarded at the next Symposium: Care of the Professional Voice, scheduled for May 29 – June 2, 2019 in Philadelphia, PA. The award presentation will take place on Saturday, June 1st, 2019.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact The Voice Foundation. E-mail: email@example.com
Founded in 1989, the National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association (NSDA) is a not-for profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to advancing medical research into the causes of and treatments for SD, promoting physician and public awareness of the disorder, and providing support to those affected by SD through symposiums, support groups, and on-line resources.
Kimberly Kuman, Executive Director
National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association